The Mekong Delta has been significantly affected by climate change in recent years. Droughts of increasing frequency, duration and intensity, along with flooding and saltwater intrusion, pose a growing threat to domestic rice production in Vietnam. In 2016, for example, spring rice production dropped by 17% in the Mekong Delta, following a drought that was intensified by the El Niño phenomenon.
To address these inescapable climate changes, the Vietnamese Ministries of Agriculture (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development – MARD) and the Environment (Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment – MONRE) need to make decisions on the short- and long-term management of rice production. To this end, decisions are currently based on data collected in-situ at local level (villages, provinces, etc.) and collated in a national statistics database (General Statistics Office).
The project uses Earth observation satellites to monitor rice-growing areas. This involves methods and algorithms using radar-based remote sensing data to map information that complements and/or replaces in-situ data and statistics (area planted, maturity, crop calendar, productivity indicators, number of harvests per year).
The project will provide free and open access to data and products that should make it possible, in the short term, to monitor production status and harvest forecasts. In the longer term, the products will provide a basis for climate change mitigation measures (modified rice-growing calendar, fewer harvests per year, changing land use). The processing time and synoptic nature of the products should contribute effectively to crop monitoring and to the development of long-term actions in line with Vietnam’s Sustainable Development Objectives.
- Mekong Delta
An online portal showing the data processed and generated as part of the project:
- Monthly map of rice-growing areas
- Monthly map of growth stages
- Annual crop density map (number of harvests per year)
- Analysis results on the climate impact of changes observed
- Copernicus Sentinel-1A and 1B. Time series every six days, with a resolution of 10m
- Climate data from weather stations in Vietnam and regional simulations (SEACLID/CORDEX-SEA project)
- Socio-economic data: Vietnam Household Living Standard Surveys (VHLSS) – General Statistics Office of Vietnam
- In-situ data on rice growing